August 13, 2008

A chaotic life and the stench of newness

Is it possible to not want any more things? Can simplicity be found in chaos?

These are questions that I've been thinking about for the past few days. Life in the Wooten home has seen many new things since May. Here's what's new to us...

home built in the late '80's
home full of furniture
9 week old puppy
2004 Jeep Libery Renegade
new job for Brad
new business for Tiffany
new job for Tiffany
1970 Glassmaster (a boat that I don't currently have a pic of)

I listed these things to show how full of stuff our life is. Ever since we bought our house we have been on some kind of accumulation binge. It's safe to say that Brad and I are coming down from a high. A high on spending. It got to the point where I was so consumed with thoughts of what I wanted to get next that I became discontent with what I already had. This discontent quickly became jealousy/envy/covetousness over what others had that I wanted. Brad even said that because we had such a whirl-wind experience with moving and settling in that he was bored when life started to calm down. We discovered that this is no way to live...

So, what's the remedy you ask? We found the answer in Hebrews 12:2

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

and in Matthew 6:19-21

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

So, we had taken our eyes off Christ for a period. But 1 John 1:9 says,

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

And within a day of praying to God, confessing my error and seeking His will through His Word the anxiety and discontent had lifted, because "he regards the prayer of the destitute and does not despise their prayer." Psalm 102:17

May we all treasure Christ (who is eternal) above all else (which will perish). As Jim Elliot once said, "He is no fool who gives up that which he cannot have to gain that which he cannot lose."

No comments: