Tiff and I went to the landfill on Monday to empty the yard waste from our landscape clearing we did this weekend... since we had bricks and wood we had to go to 'the top' to empty our trailer. I thought I had been to a landfill before, but may be not. What an experience. We drove to the top of the huge mountain and the road ended and the trash began. I did not realize that you drive on top of the trash. We drove about 200 yards across the trash to the far corner where everyone was unloading. You back up close to the edge of the hill and then just throw everything off the trailer on to the ground right next to the trailer. Then the giant bulldozer comes and pushes it over the edge. The amazing thing was driving on top of the trash. I don't know how far down you'd have to dig to hit solid ground... and I would not go up there in a 2-wheel drive vehicle if I were you. While we were there a few garbage trucks pulled up and emptied their load... hundreds of garbage bags, just left for the bulldozer to push over the edge.
Literally... a mountain made of nothing but trash... really makes you want to go green after you've visited.
It was quite an experience though... I truly want to return, this time with a camera and a few other people just to see if they are as amazed as I am. I really think if you haven't experienced this you need to, seriously. My 'ticket' was $14(for 850 lbs of trash) but you could get in for much cheaper if you take less trash :) I enjoy having been to the Tuscarora Landfill.
Literally... a mountain made of nothing but trash... really makes you want to go green after you've visited.
It was quite an experience though... I truly want to return, this time with a camera and a few other people just to see if they are as amazed as I am. I really think if you haven't experienced this you need to, seriously. My 'ticket' was $14(for 850 lbs of trash) but you could get in for much cheaper if you take less trash :) I enjoy having been to the Tuscarora Landfill.
I will say this...we had two very different experiences at the landfill. I don't EVER want to go back. I can't even begin to describe the stench.....ehhh. Although, I do wish I had some pictures. It was a sight that's for sure. I consider to be somewhat 'green'...I mean I recycle and cut back on paper products and plastics and reuse plenty of things. But, I tell you what, I'll be thinking twice about throwing some things in the trash that I know can be recycled just because I'm too lazy to walk to the garage door to put it in the recycle bin.

No comments:
Post a Comment