June 17, 2010

Cloth Diaper Review


We have been cloth diapering for about a month and a half now and we love it! Here is what I think about them so far.

One-size Pockets- A cover that has a “pocket” in which you insert a piece of cloth (usually microfiber, some are hemp/bamboo/organic) that soaks up all the mess.
Pros
-One size grows with baby through diaper-wearing stage.  No need to buy multiple sizes. 
-Very little to no staining on inside of the cover. 
-Covers are fast drying.
Cons
-The inserts do stain, but is easily cleaned with a few hours in the sun. 
-Once the diaper is dirty, the entire cover and insert must be put in the diaper pail.  This fills up the pail rather quickly. 
-It also requires you to pull out the wet and/or dirty insert before placing in pail.
-Needs to be “stuffed” before use.
Fuzzi Bunz
            Cost for 18- $315.00
Fit- Snap closure.  Adjustable elastic at the legs.  Makes the smallest diaper of these four and therefore fits the best on a smaller baby.
Haute Pocket
            Cost for 18- about $270.00 (couldn’t find at Nicki’s Diapers)
            Fit- Snap closure.  Somewhat bulky on a smaller baby
Bum Genius 3.0
            Cost for 18- $305.00
            Fit- Velcro closure.  Is the bulkiest of the four on smaller baby.
Happy Heiny’s
            Cost for 18- $333.00
            Fit- Velcro or snap closure option.  Fits pretty well even on a smaller baby.
  
All-in-one One Size- Most like a disposable diaper.  The outer cover and “insert” is all one piece.
            Pros
            -No mess.  No fuss.  Easy.
            Cons
            -Usually more expensive.
            -Takes much longer to dry.  Especially when air-drying. 
Bum Genius organic
            Cost for 18- $400.00
            Fit- Snap closure.  Fits well.  More trim than the 3.0 pockets.

Hybrid- Has a cover and a cloth insert without the “pocket”.  The insert sits on the inside of the cover directly touching baby’s bottom.
            Pros
            -Has cloth and disposable insert option.
-Longer lasting cover.  If the mess doesn’t get on the cover it can be re-used with a clean insert.  Then you need more inserts than covers which can be more cost effective.
-Virtually no leaks
Cons
-Can’t think of any.
Bum Genius Flips- One-size cover. Has organic insert option.
            Cost for 24 inserts/8 covers- $200.00 from Cotton Babies.
            Disposable inserts- $4.95 for 18
Fit- By far the biggest cover of all of these.  The cover is wider than the insert causing the cover to get dirty more easily.  Snap closure.
G Diapers- Sizes sm/md/lg.  Triples the price.
            Cost for 24 inserts/8 covers- $239.92
            Disposable inserts (that are flushable)- $14.95 for 40
Fit- These fit the best because they come in different sizes.  Velcro closure in the back. 
Gro Baby(aka Grovia)- One-size cover.
            Cost for 12 insert/6 covers- $203.50 from Diaper Junction
            Disposable inserts- $19.99 for 50
            Fit- Velcro closure.  Pretty good fit.

My favorite type of diaper is the hybrid diapers.  They are so easy to use, have the best fit, and I love that the covers can be re-used if it’s not dirty.  They take up much less space in the diaper pail because I usually use 3 inserts for every 1 cover.  They are also a fairly cheap option.  We only use the disposable liners when we are going to be away from home most of the day.  A close second are the all in one, one-size by Bum Genius.  Just as easy to use and a trim (for cloth) fit.

 The pockets are alright.  I wish I had done a review of what I thought of the diapers before I actually used them.  I thought the pockets would be my favorite, but turns out they are not.  I’m sure glad I didn’t buy a whole stash of one kind of diaper.  Now I know what I will be buying more of in the future.

 Little man Zac in his G Diapers.

I'm still trying to find a wash routine that works for us.  Any suggestions for those who cloth diaper?
Some websites I found helpful:
Nicki's Diapers-for purchasing, great deals, and giveaways
Cotton Babies- for purchasing
Diaper Junction- for purchasing
All about cloth diapers- great reviews, info and giveaways; as the name implies
Passionate Homemaking- great reviews and info

1 comment:

Bec said...

My friend Lindsay and you seem to have a lot in common. She's on her second baby that she cloth diapers so she could be a good resource!

http://www.livesimplybloomwildly.blogspot.com/