
By Michael Pollan
This was an incredibly easy read. Focusing more on practically applied rules than the science behind the food we eat. I was originally looking for a book to continue to encourage our eating habits and to cultivate excitement to continue to make more changes. This was the perfect book. The Book is broken up into three parts: What should I eat? What Kind of food should I eat? and How should I eat. Some of my favorite rules include: #7 Avoid food products containing ingredients that a third-grader cannot pronounce; #13 Eat only foods that eventually rot; and #27 Eat animals that have themselves eaten well. Pollan is an excellent writer, well versed in his research of food. And, of course, his rules are very balanced as evidenced in rule #64 Break the rules once in a while. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in easy ways to change their food choices and eating habits. I am also looking forward to reading more from Pollan in the future.

By: Susan McCutcheon
I find it difficult to review this book from an objective point of view. This is only one of two books about childbirth that I've read and both were in reference to the Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth. Brad and I have also completed a twelve week Bradley Method birth class, so I am to say the least, biased. However, this book was amazing. It was an excellent supplement to Husband-coached Childbirth and the classes. This book took what was learned from those resources and went even more in-depth to solidify my knowledge of childbirth. It's a well-rounded resource covering everything from pregnancy nutrition, to in-depth info on the stages of labor, to how to handle possible complications to breastfeeding. The Bradley Method essentially teaches total relaxation during first stage labor contractions and that the best way to have a successful natural childbirth is to be well educated on all choices as well as having a knowledge of what a woman's body is doing in labor so that she can "let go" and work with her body rather than hinder it. A must-read for every parent seeking a better birth experience whether it's your first or fifth.
No comments:
Post a Comment