February 9, 2010

"Rule # 39: Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself."

Over the last few weeks, I have been reading Michael Pollan's Food Rules.  It is an excellent, very short read containing simple rules to eat a well balanced, nutritious diet of whole foods, while avoiding processed foods.  At the same time, I've been craving cinnamon rolls!  So, I took it as a challenge to apply this rule.  Let me tell you, it was so WORTH it!  Not only was my craving satisfied, but it was made with whole ingredients.  Here's the recipe in case you were curious:

Cinnamon Swirl Bread

In a large mixing bowl, combine, 2 cups flour (I used 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat), 2 cups oats, 2/3 cup dry milk powder, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 2 packages active dry yeast, and 3 teaspoons of salt.




 In a small saucepan, heat 2 1/2 cups water and 2 tablespoons of butter to 120-130 degrees.  Add to dry ingredients.  Beat just until moistened.




Add 1 egg; beat until smooth.


I had to include a pic of my wonderful faux kitchen aid stand mixer that I got from our Sunday school Christmas party gift exchange last year!


Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.  I used 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat again.


Stir in 1 cup raisins.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.  Cover and let rise in a warm place (the oven with it's light on) until doubled, about 1 hour.


Punch dough down.  Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half.  Roll each portion into an 18inx9in rectangle.  
Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon.  Set aside 2 tablespoons for topping.  Sprinkle remaining cinnamon-sugar over rectangles to within 1/2in of edges.  Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal.

Place seam side down in two greased loaf pans.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.  Sprinkle with reserved cinnamon-sugar. 

Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.  Cover loosely with foil if tops brown too quickly.  Cool for ten minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.



This was so good right out of the oven.  It's also delicious toasted.  All that's missing is some melt-y frosting...but I think cream cheese might be better.



No comments: