Have you ever read the ingredient label of the most common cleaning products?
I bet there's more than one ingredient that you can not pronounce. It's good to have a clean home. It's not good to clean it with harsh chemicals. This defeats the purpose of cleaning to me.
The solution: Make your own cleaning products.
It's really very simple. About three years ago, I started to learn about the chemicals in most household cleaning products. When I discovered that several had know carcinogens(cancer causing substances) in them I decided to start buying more "natural" cleaning products.
My favorite company is Seventh Generation. They have a natural substitute for pretty much anything you could ever think of. And they list ALL their ingredients. Did you know that most cleaning products do not even list all of their ingredients? Because, if they did, you probably would not buy them.
So, what do I clean with you ask? Here's a basic list of things I ALWAYS have on hand:
White Vinegar
Baking Soda
Liquid Castile Soap
A few essential oils that have a known antibacterial/antimicrobial effect (my favorite are lemon and pine)
These simple ingredients can make pretty much any cleaning product that is needed to adequately clean any home.
Here are some tips:
1. Look for recipes that are simple (containing few ingredients) and quick. That way, you will continue to make them even if you only have 5 min.
2. Make a slow change. It's been three years, and we are just NOW using all homemade products.
3. It might be simpler to start by buying cleaning products with better ingredients, then using those containers for the homemade ones as they are emptied.
So, here's where I got nerdy. I made my own labels. Complete with the ingredients listed on the back so that I have a handy recipe right on the container.
Oh yeah, and a logo and slogan...AND a great idea for a Christmas present.
My newest recipe is for disinfecting wipes. They are just like clorox wipes!
Disinfecting wipes:
1 Cup water
1/8 Cup Liquid Castile Soap
2-3 drops Lemon EO
2-3 drops Pine EO
10-20 paper towels, cut in half (depending on how wide your container is)
Measure liquid ingredients into a bowl large enough to fit length of paper towel. Stack paper towels and place in bowl. Allow liquid to soak in. Ring out excess liquid from paper towels. Roll jelly-roll style for upright container or simple keep stacked for a container such as a baby wipes tub. Pour remaining liquid into container to keep moist. Make sure there is a secure fitting lid so they stay moist.
3 comments:
Your cleaning bottles are so cute! Such a cute idea to make labels! Can you share your other cleaner recipes?
Yes ! Very good idea ! I agree ... please share recipes :)
That is wonderfully nerdy. I love it! - Renee
Post a Comment