It's a gift and a curse.
A gift, because I love to see the bigger picture of something. There are absolutes in this world. Things that should remain black and white/right and wrong. But, there are plenty of things that will always remain a shade of gray. Being able to see the shades of gray is like looking at a snow globe from the outside rather than being the tiny little person inside a cabin when it's snowing.
A curse, because I'm afraid that I seem argumentative to others. I can't NOT respond to a blatant black or white absolute statement when there are a bazillion shades of gray on the topic. Lord knows how many times I've tried to bite my tongue. I just can't do it.
This part of my personality really does have bearing on all aspects of who I am. Even to the degree of what authors I choose to read. One book that Brad and I are really enjoying right now is The Radical Reformission by Mark Driscoll. Driscoll is known for is blunt and sometimes offensive use of language, but his writing is incredibly balanced. He has a bigger picture in mind.
In this particular book, Driscoll is discussing the role of culture in how we should reach people for Christ. This does, inevitably include the role of the Church in this mission. I love the balanced approach he takes in these equations.
Gospel + Culture - Church = Parachurch (organizations like Campus Crusade for Christ)
Culture + Church - Gospel = Liberalism
Church + Gospel - Culture = Fundamentalism
Reformission therefore begins with a simple return to Jesus, who by grace saves us and sends us into mission. Jesus has called us (1) to the gospel (loving our Lord), (2) the culture (loving our neighbor), and (3) the church (loving our brother). But one of the causes for failure to fulfill our mission in the American church is that the various Christian traditions are faithful on only one or two of these counts. When we fail to love our Lord, neighbor and brother simultaneously, we bury our mission in one of these three holes: parachurch, liberalism, or fundamentalism. (emphasis added) pg. 20
I think if we're honest with ourselves, we will see that it's so easy to get stuck in one of these "holes". Or, move from one to another depending on our season of life. So, let's all take an honest look at how we think "church should be" and separate the essentials from the non-essentials. We might find in the end, that very little matters apart from loving Jesus, our neighbor and our brother simultaneously.
And my heart jumps for joy because this means balancing all three.

1 comment:
You like Piper. He seems like he would be a more black and white fundamentalist type.
I've always looked at a snow globe and wanted to bust it open and get inside and figure it out. I like to have all the answers. I spend much of my time very discouraged and frustrated because everything isn't black and white. And even when it is no one agrees what is indeed an essential. Makes me feel like the prophet Jeremiah. The weeping prophet.
Post a Comment