July 6, 2009

First Loaf

First, two separate points:

1. I love to cook. But, I've never been much of a baker. I'm the type of chef that just throws in what I think will taste good and I hardly use measurements. It didn't take me long to discover that baking is another art form all together. One which requires precise measurements and temperatures to even come close to resembling anything edible.

2. When Brad and I started to change ideas on food and "natural living" (for lack of a better term), I set goals for us. We started very s...l...o...w...l...y. Making only one or two small changes at a time so that they would become woven into our lives. We will always be in this process. I have large dreams of planting an organic garden and composting.....but that scares me right now. (Mostly because I've slowly killed everything I have tried to grow so far.)

Now that you know some background:

My latest goal is to make all our grains....this would include bread, crackers, muffins, pancakes, pizza crust, pie crust, etc. from scratch. YIKES! I've been putting it off for a few weeks. I'm starting slow....with one loaf of bread. And what do you know! Today I did it! Now, I've made all of the above, except bread and crusts, before. However, they were on a whim. I would like to get to the point where I no longer need to buy these items from the grocery store. There are so many advantages to this. Mostly, I can choose what ingredients I put in. What peace of mind....knowing EXACTLY what my family is eating!

1 comment:

Keri Ronk said...

Recipes please!!!!! :)