October 1, 2009

Homemade cleaning products

Update: I have run two loads using this soap and it is wonderful! It works the same, if not better than any thing I've bought from the store. And it doesn't leave water spots, or any soap residue!

I made my own dishwasher soap today. It took all of 2 minutes. I hope it cleans as well as store bought detergent. Here's the recipe in case you want to try it too:

1-2 C liquid castile soap
1/2 C water
1 tsp. lemon juice
3 drops tea tree oil (I skipped this because the castile soap I use has tea tree oil already in it)
1/2 C white vinegar

Combine all ingredients and store in a covered container. (I put it in my empty Seventh Generation dishwashing gel container) Use 1 Tbsp. per load.

*This same recipe can be used for dish soap by diluting it with 3-4 C of water.

Here's some more info. about toxic chemicals in the home. I've found it easiest and most cost effective to make my own cleaning and laundry detergents. This way, I have complete peace of mind knowing EXACTLY what I'm using and that it is safe.

No comments: