January 18, 2010

Lampshade Mobile


I don't want to reveal the whole nursery until it's complete, but I made this cute mobile that I wanted to share.

Materials:
Large drum shade
assorted ribbon
spool of jewelry chain
pliars
scissors
hot glue/gun
wooden letters/anything light enough to hang from chain
1 s-hook
ceiling hook


Start by cutting strips of ribbon long enough to cover height of shade. Glue strips side by side on inside of shade. TIP: start on the side with the wider ring.



Flip shade over and glue the other end of the strips to the inside of the shade. Make sure they are tight and straight. Even drum shades have a wider ring, so you may have to fill in any gaps with overlapping ribbon.



Measure how long you want it to hang down from the ceiling. Cut 3 equal lengths of chain and attach to the spider. Use the s-hook at the opposite end of the chains to hold together. TIP: hanging shade makes attaching the bottom pieces much easier.

Attach the letters at varying heights using the chain. TIP: use fishing wire for a floating look. The chain here gives a more industrial look. Hang from ceiling!

2 comments:

Keri Ronk said...

This mobile is so cute! I cant wait to see the rest of his nursery!

mrsallisondavis said...

That turned out great! I love it!