August 17, 2011

Getting creative with a stariway gate.


We have a very open, custom staircase that I've been trying to find a gate for over the past 6 months or so.  I knew the day would come when Zac would without hesitation make a break for the stairs.  He had been doing well with obeying us when we would tell him not to climb the stairs.  But, inevitably, the day came when I walked out of the room for 2 minutes and came back to find him all the way at the top of the stairs.  My heart nearly jumped out of my chest as I raced up the stairs to get him.  And I'm still so thankful that he made it safely up.  However, I immediately began to solve the gate problem.  I had seen some options on amazon that would work.  But, it was pricey, so I made my own version. 



Retractable gate - $99.00



 

Retractable gate from a roller shade - $8.00


I am quite proud of my ingenuity if I do say so myself.  And so far it's worked great.  I'm sure there will be a day where he will test it's limits, but for now it gets the job done.  I love that it rolls up nicely when not in use and is hardly seen.     

No comments: