I'm challenging myself this week. A challenge that I feel capable of completing....I hope.
Our grocery budget is in major need of an overhaul. We're in a food rut. My fridge, freezer and pantry have been full for weeks and yet, I continued to go grocery shopping. Mostly for pregnancy cravings, processed junk, and staples that we ran out of. And boy do I feel it. Not just in our bank account, but in my general physical health.
So, I've decided to skip the grocery store until our kitchen runs dry. I'm prepared for a week, maybe longer. Here's my rules:
1. I may only buy bread, milk, peanut butter and necessary toiletries from a store.
2. All produce and eggs must come from the farmer's market.
3. I will continue until I need to restock the pantry and freezer of basic cooking ingredients like oil, spices, pasta, rice, meat etc.
I sort of had a test run last week in that I didn't plan meals before I went grocery shopping. I just bought the basics and decided what to make from what we already had. I must say, I got much more creative in the kitchen! The only item I bought at the store for this coming week was milk. It was so nice!
This morning we went to the farmer's market and boy was it great knowing that it was the main shopping trip for the week.
Here's what we got:
3 sweet peppers, 1 med. onion - $1.00
3 lbs. organic okra - $6.00 (this leaves 2 lbs to freeze for future meals)
1 lb. green beans - $1.50 (we'll probably have some left to freeze or save for next week)
2 lbs. carrots - $1.00
1 lg. watermelon - $3.00
1 dozen eggs - $3.50
TOTAL = $16.00
Starting Monday, I will post what we ate each day. I'm excited to see how the week goes!
August 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment